Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's time for a phone, to save us from our phones?

Last week I had the absolute pleasure of witnessing a commercial that really rocked my world. It was for the Windows Phone 7.

The commercial really opened my eyes. It basically shows a series of little vignettes where people are paying too much attention to their phone, and missing the world around them. Mothers are not paying attention to their children, fathers are on their phone instead of having catches with their sons, and poppas are too busy staring at their phone to realize that momma wants some, "alone time."

Like I said, it was a real eye-opener. Life with phones...sucks! Before the commercial could even end I had decided the rest of my life. I was going to get rid of my phone and live above this technology that is running peoples lives.

Then, as this informative commercial came to a close, the tag line: It's time for a phone, to save us from our phones.

Wait, what?

Turns out the commercial, which had me convinced to trash my phone Office Space style, was actually selling. Me. A. Phone.

Yeah, it's just as confusing as you think.

1 comment:

  1. it disguises the contradictions of our culture from ourselves, the competing and conflicting desires that assault us.

    ReplyDelete